microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Re: Restoring an image backup to a brand new HD?

On 3/22/2012 10:00 AM, Mayayana wrote:
> |> It's not "legal" for an OEM version. With a full
> |> version it's legal to move to as many PCs as desired,
> |> as long as it's one at a time. With an OEM version
> |> Microsoft claims it's licensed to the motherboard.
> |> I've never tried moving a pre-installed OEM version
> |> via disk image. I don't know if that will work. If it
> |> wants to re-activate then the new activation will
> |> not work with a new motherboard.
> |
> | How do you explain that service centers replace motherboards all of the
> | time and the machine keeps the same OEM license?
>
> I don't know. Microsoft may provide them a means
> to do that. I don't have much experience with PC
> service shops, but from what I've seen it seems
> they usually try to push an upgrade and then charge
> for a copy installed from their own corporate CD.
Actually replacing defective motherboards under the OEM license is legal.
> | And did you know that Woody Leonhard stated:
> |
> | "After an exhaustive search of case law, I could find no example of a
> | Microsoft EULA prevailing in a dispute with a regular, everyday PC user."
>
> So what? Microsoft has a lot more money, lobbyists
> and lawyers than you do. Who is going to fight them
> in court over $100-$300? Are you going to take them
> to small claims court next time a product activation
> fails? Microsoft makes all sorts of
> claims that are at best unethical, and possibly illegal.
> But no one stops them. Did you know that it's "illegal"
> for two people to use a PC at the same time, according
> to their EULA? You're breaking Microsoft's version of the
> law every time you sit down to help a friend or teach a
> child. If MS could find a way to charge for that then I'm
> sure they would. You also agree to allow Media Player
> to be spyware if you use it... but you can't remove it,
> either. Microsoft doesn't need to enforce that. Most people
> use Media Player because they don't know any better.
> Most people don't know it's spyware. MS only puts that
> in the license so that tech gossip can't accuse them of
> hiding something.
No you got it backwards. Microsoft has never gone after any consumer for
breaking the EULA. And yes, defective motherboards can be replaced under
OEM licenses.
> The genius of their Windows licensing scheme is that
> it's passive. They don't have to be an ogre because
> product activation does the job for them.
>
> For most people a name-brand
> OEM machine is Windows. That's licensed to the motherboard
> *and* to you, according to MS. The activation method
> checks various hardware in order to guess whether
> you're installing to a new PC.
Some checks and some doesn't. A lot of branded OEM versions are
pre-activated. Although most of them checks the BIOS to see if it is
qualifies.
> An issue I've never actually tested is the enforcement.
> If you buy an OEM copy of Windows and install it to two
> PCs, the second activation "should" fail. If you image
> your Dell or HP PC and copy it to a PC you build, that
> should also fail, but I don't know whether Microsoft has
> planned for that. (And given that XP is an extremely
> brittle system, it's not so easy to move between PCs.
> I have no doubt that's deliberate.)
I have lots of experience with branded OEM Windows. First there is no
activation if it qualifies for the computer it is meant for (loosely
this could mean a Dell, Gateway, etc). Trying on a computer that doesn't
qualify two things usually happens.
1) It will flatly fail and do not pass go.
2) It will ask for a key. And if it isn't from a qualifying computer for
the branded version, it will fail (doesn't matter if the key is valid or
not).
> So Microsoft is exploitive. Their licensing is absurd and
> probably illegal. They should have been broken up over
> monopoly abuse a long time ago. (And they probably
> would have been if George Bush Jr. hadn't come into the
> White House before the case was over.) .... But none of
> that matters if you buy a OEM XP CD and try to install it
> to 2 machines. That's the genius of it all: MS doesn't have
> to look bad with nasty enforcement. They just give you
> a broken product and you have to contact them to ask
> them to fix it. By making product activation effortless for
> most people, Microsoft was able to make it standard. As
> a result, MS is actually stealing from most of their customers
> by forcing them to buy a new Windows license with every
> PC, even if they've already bought one. ...And most people
> don't even realize it.
Too much to reply to for this thread. But basically Microsoft wasn't in
any trouble of being broken up, unless if they had a conscious.
> You may be right that the license won't stand up in court,
> but that won't help Jo-Anne. All we can do is be grateful
> that we haven't succumbed to the Invasion of The Wallet
> Snatchers and turned into AppleSeeds. Then we'd be
> getting exploited *and* we'd be thanking Lord Jobs for
> doing it. :)
Thanking Lord Steve for what? Lord Steve admits (and isn't a secret
anyway) that he stolen everything that he had got.
--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0

Written by BillW50 22/03/2012 14:45:31
Check some pics on this site!
18/10/2019 07:53:44