microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Re: Restoring an image backup to a brand new HD?

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:00:08 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50_at_aol.kom> wrote
in article <jkfpbm$2uv$1_at_dont-email.me>...

> On 3/22/2012 12:35 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:51:30 -0500, "BillW50"<BillW50_at_aol.kom> wrote
> > in article<jkd4fi$oc8$1_at_dont-email.me>...
> >> Does Microsoft have a problem with it if you have an OEM license?
> >> Microsoft never makes this clear. All that is clear is at least one
> >> piece of the hardware is still being used, then it is legal.
> >
> > Since around XP SP2 or SP3 or so, OEM licensing became more
> > restrictive. The software is tied to the computer system, and MS
> > essentially defines this as the motherboard. See
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_faq.aspx
>
> "Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware
> components on a computer?except the motherboard?and still retain the
> license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the
> motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect,
> then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system
> software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of
> new operating system software is required."
>
> Oops! The 5v line doesn't take 120vac too well. Time for a new
> motherboard. ;-)
Never said there weren't ways around it, just that the licensing is
pretty clear on the restrictions.
--
Zaphod
Vell, Zaphod's just zis guy, ya know? - Gag Halfrunt

Written by Zaphod Beeblebrox 23/03/2012 08:23:57
Check some pics on this site!
18/10/2019 08:19:58