microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Re: XP won't boot

Paul  wrote in news:jke40o$he2$1_at_dont-email.me:

> Menno Hershberger wrote:
>> I'm working on an HP Pavilion that I installed a new hard drive in
>> about two years ago. It's Home Edition SP3, up to date.
>>
>> He shut it down normally one night. The next morning it wouldn't
>> boot. It is coming up to a blank black screen with a flashing cursor
>> in the upper left corner. The only key that will intercept it is F1
>> which brings up the BIOS setup. The hard drive is listed there as
>> primary master.
>>
>> F8 will not bring up a menu. If it would have, I'd have gone for Last
>> Know Good Configuration.
>>
>> Next I booted up a recent version of Hiren's and ran Mini Windows XP.
>> It reads the drive fine and I was able to copy all his documents,
>> favorites, mail and a couple of other folders to an external hard
>> drive. So we've saved his stuff.
>>
>> Next I booted with an XP install CD and went in to the restore
>> console. I ran chkdsk /p. It came up with the usual screen and
>> included the line "Chkdsk found one or more errors". It doesn't
>> really say whether it fixed them or not, but a subsequent run of
>> chkdsk didn't have that line. I also ran "fixboot".
>>
>> Still no joy. Just the black screen with the flashing cursor.
>>
>> I went back to the Hiren's CD and ran two different hard disk
>> diagnostic tests, one of the was Western Digitals DLG, the other one
>> was HTTD. Both of those showed no errors.
>>
>> I also slaved the drive to my shop computer and ran chkdsk on it from
>> Windows. It came up there clean as well.
>>
>> It seems like I've had this before and have always seemed to diddle
>> it out of it one way or another but this time it's not happening.
>>
>> There's a restore partition on the drive but that will put it back to
>> Service Pack 1 and it'll take forever to install service Pack 3 and
>> 130+ updates that have come out since SP3. Plus copy all his stuff
>> back, reinstall other software, printer, etc.
>>
>> Any suggestions as to how to revive this thing?
>>

> So you've done a "fixboot" but not a "fixmbr".
>
> Fixmbr writes 440 bytes of code to sector 0, just below the four
> primary partition table entries. Slaving the drive to your shop
> computer, you'd have proof the partition table entries were
> valid, but it wouldn't tell you anything about the 440 bytes
> of code. Perhaps inserting a Linux LiveCD, and having a
> little "accident", would wipe out the proper 440 bytes of stuff.
> Doing a fixmbr from WinXP Recovery Console, shouldn't hurt anything,
> as the partition table entries aren't supposed to be touched.
>
> I think fixboot, goes to the C: partition, and writes a couple sectors
> very close to the beginning of the partition. The sectors in question
> are inside the partition. If you copy off the files on C:, format C:,
> then copy the files back, then those couple sectors are missing, and
> that's when you need the fixboot.
>
> One other reason for the flashing cursor, could be something USB
> related. For chuckles, you can try unplugging the USB card reader
> [...]

I have gained a little bit. I am now getting the "hal.dll" missing or
corrupted error. I have tried copying a copy of it from a floppy but
getting "The file could not be copied". This was, of course after
allowing the overwrite. I tried it with 2 different floppies. Same thing.
I'll google that a bit. If I remember from past experience, a successful
copy of that file won't fix it anyway.

--
-- I'm retired. I was tired yesterday. I'm tired again today --

Written by Retired 21/03/2012 22:17:39
Check some pics on this site!
18/10/2019 09:19:57